There are positive indications that the recession is receding. Which means that this is the time for proactive decision making by forward-thinking companies as they prepare their training budgets for the coming year. Training is an area where companies can gain a significant advantage by planning ahead.
The ranks of experienced workers and managers have been decimated by recession and retirement. Many will be replaced by young and/or inexperienced workers as the recession recedes and these will require extensive training. Forward-thinking companies are already preparing their training budgets to deal with these looming workforce demands.
However, training should be no exception to the general acceptance that mining needs to become lean, mean and competitive in a tougher world. This is why a growing number of companies are moving to online, self-directed training wherever possible. Not only has online training been proven more effective at knowledge retention, it is also less costly in terms of dollars and time and workplace disruption than traditional methods.
Other considerations when discussing your plans with training providers and setting your training budget include the following …
- Can all of the online training for your workforce be made available on a single integrated platform with standardized tracking and reporting?
- Can your internal corporate training material be integrated on the same platform?
- Is Internet connectivity a problem at your mine site? … If so then you need a training platform that can run offline if necessary and re-connect when appropriate.
- Do you need training material in languages other than English?
- Online self-directed training should be supplemented by specialist instructor-led training where necessary to be really effective.
- Will your training platform provide meaningful metrics that reflect the quality and effectiveness of your training? For example, some platforms are designed to operate in an environment where safety and productivity are key concerns and provide metrics that relate training records to safety incidents and/or productivity records.
Whatever your training objectives … an educated workforce, building a safety culture, increasing productivity, or growing the leaders of tomorrow … these can all be achieved with a cost-effective and timely solution that satisfies these considerations and gives you an edge on the competition as the recession recedes.